Friday, March 07, 2008

Surf or Ski

So, USC just let me into their PhD program. The remarkable Aimee Bender called me last night to tell me the news. I stumbled and quivered and even said something embarrassingly fangirl ("I love your work!"). I'm calling the department head to find out more info today. USC was such a long shot for me that I hadn't even considered what would happen if I got in. They accept like 2 people in fiction per year. Hope that doesn't smack of horn tooting. I'm as surprised as anyone. I've had a long winter you guys. The thaw has finally come.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the acceptances! I would choose the Surf and Compton!

1:04 PM  
Blogger paula said...

Woohoo!
Yeehaw!
Congratulations!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll visit you either place! Congrats, I couldn't be more proud of my friend. xoxo, The Muzz

9:52 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

It was great meeting you on Saturday and now I'm dying to hear what you decided after your meet and greet with USC.

(Tamara from AwkwardlySocial)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Screwsan said...

Tamara, it was great to meet you too. And amid so much IMPORTANT ART. USC was so impressive. Did you know they have 10 libraries? I mean, probably you did, but I didn't. Whoa!

The other creative writers were cool. I was the oldest person there. Which is okay actually.

I just don't think I can afford LA on the crappy money they're throwing at me. I don't know I don't know! I'm taking the weekend to drive myself crazy and settle on a decision.

In any case, thanks for asking! I hope we get more time to hang out in the future.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The money situation in LA can certainly be daunting. There are still semi-affordable apartments in semi-non-sketchy neighborhoods, but yeah, it's tough.

As for the 10 libraries? I knew there were many, but I didn't know there were 10! It seems a little excessive, right?

Good luck deciding!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home