Friday, January 04, 2008

Do Not Heart Huckabee

That is not just a statement about myself, but also a plea from me to the universe. Because as tasty as Obama's victory was last night, Huckabee's was, in the same measure, terrifying. I mean, all the Republicans and fence sitters I know caucused for Obama last night. I'm hearing that was a statewide trend, which left the Republican win to the crazies. In some senses, it will be easier for Obama to win against a nutbag like Huckabee, in another sense: at least having John McCain as a president wouldn't make me want to jump in front of a speeding bus.

Anyway, I wrote this long thing about caucusing for the Boston Magazine blog. I am sort of overloaded on political impressions and reactions right now, so follow the link to BoMag and read about my evening over there. I do want to add one thing in re: the BoMag blog post, and that is that my skepticism for Obama's campaign is really more about his staffers and volunteers than the man himself. Obamania is not a joke. It is a real, dogmatic thing. Don't get me wrong--I am thrilled at Obama's victory and I am very proud to be an Iowan today. But that "too good to be true" feeling has snuck up on me. Or maybe it's just that the loss in 2004 was too painful and I've closed my heart to the possibility of true love. Maybe Obama is the man who will pry it open. We'll see.

(And yes, I am dreadfully hungover.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your "too good to be true" feeling. I have the very same turning stomach. In 2004, I volunteered for Edwards in Ottumwa and worked the courthouse on caucus night. Absolutely amazing experience. Anyway, after winning in Iowa, I believe Kerry surfed on a national tidalwave of distrust and concern about Bush to the DNC nomination. Being an African-American in Iowa, I found the citizens of Ottumwa were the nicest people I have met- nicer than Southern charm. The question for Obama is can he surf in the rocky Souf?

10:33 AM  
Blogger Screwsan said...

Good question. I think if Obama gets the nomination, he might put Edwards on the ticket to boost his support in the South (which makes me kind of sad because although I favor Obama, I really like Hilary and think she's a great leader). I don't think Huckabee will get the nomination, but a good baptist boy like him would surely play well there.

But in terms of getting the support in the South Obama needs for the nomination in the first place...I don't know. How does Edwards play with deep south Dems?

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home