Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Fear and Change

McCain’s campaign sideshow has not only gone off the rails, it’s gone out of its mind. I’ve been catching up on the news from the last week (thanks, grad school) and I’m appalled, stunned and revolted by the racist epithets and death threats against Obama that are now making regular appearances at McCain-Palin events. The Nation describes a recent rally in Florida as a near race-riot, with the crowd turning on reporters. One African-American TV crew member was told to “Sit down, boy” by a white Palin supporter.

Fucking terrifying.

And McCain-Palin have not done anything to stem the tide of hate-speech from supporters.

Fucking unacceptable.

Is this what it comes down to? Pandering to the lowest common denominator? The ignorant, the racist, the—hello—possibly sociopathic?!?!?

Well, M-P, there you go. You finally found your untapped voter population. It’s not young single women, it’s not Hispanics, it’s not college students or first time voters or any of the other target groups we’ve been hearing about for the last year.

No, quite simply, its the insane, the deranged, the inhumane, the disgusting, the psychotic, the moronic, the afraid.

Is this the Republican legacy? Is this the future they see for America? If I were a Republican, I’d be tearing up my membership card right about now.

So this is what it all comes down to: Do we as a country cower in fear of and condemn the new, the unknown, the different, the foreign? Or do we step out into the world as the face of progress, invention, diplomacy, and tolerance?

Sorry, I know the political posting tends to get old, especially in a campaign year but I am absolutely beside myself. "Sit down, boy"? "Kill him"?!?! What. The. Fuck. is going on?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. J. A. Handy said...

Huh? Crazysaywho? Please...your comrades win the crazy contest every time.

I think what's needed here is a little time doing research outside of the prescribed materials from the Obama Cultural Revolution:

A cornucopia of crazy:
http://michellemalkin.com/2008/10/12/crush-the-obamedia-narrative-look-whos-gripped-by-insane-rage

"Peaceful" libs at their own convention:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGhs_LN7Fk&feature=related


It's okay, really. I'll still consider you part of academia if you cheat on Keith Olbermann every once in awhile...I know your Irish blood makes you just a teensy bit hot for Sean Hannity! ;)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Screwsan said...

You just made me throw up in my mouth.

Dan Abrams and I are engaged, even if he doesn't know it yet.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home