Monday, December 05, 2005

Librarian on the Lam

I just got a call from a detective in Missouri--a local librarian defrauded her employers of $85,000 (so far--they're still counting) by writing checks to book sellers with whom the library had accounts, then cashing them herself and keeping the money. Apparently, one of the fraudulent checks was made out to my company.

The detective, Ed, sounded like an old-fashioned, no-nonsense gumshoe. He called me ma'am in a way that was very much to my liking. I tried to give him just the facts to show my appreciation.

Personally, I like the visual of some frowning, owly, support-hosed Marion the Librarian running away to a foreign beach resort with someone else's money; only to spend her days sweet-talking tenured professors out of their 401Ks.


Watch your back, dear criminal librarian. After all, you've got such a long way to go, to make it to the border of Mexico. You better ride, ride, ride like the wind.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Count Del Monte said...

I have always harbored thoughts of you at the center of a vast criminal librarian enterprise. I think you could succeed where this wayward lass failed, and perhaps recruit other bookends to your devious cause. I promise I won't rat you out to the gumshoes.

2:57 PM  
Blogger shane said...

just one question was the library detective named Bookman???

and as Bookman said "I remember when librarians were...


s

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home